The AMP Young Investigator Award recognizes the best abstracts submitted by Trainees who are AMP members and who present outstanding basic or applied research in poster format at the Annual Meeting & Expo. Trainees eligible for this award are students, postdoctoral fellows, or residents and they may be either Associate or Regular members of AMP. The mission of the award is to encourage junior investigators to ask important original questions, to design sound, controlled experiments with a clear rationale, and to present the results clearly in a poster format. Each year three Young Investigator Awards are presented at the Business/Awards Session at the Annual Meeting & Expo. Award winners will receive a stipend.
To qualify for an award, the first author must be an Associate or Regular Member of AMP and agree to attend the Business/Awards Session at the Annual Meeting & Expo in order to accept the award personally. Posters are judged by members of the AMP Training and Education Committee using the following criteria:
- Originality: The work presented should constitute a new and original contribution to methods, results or general analysis of the considered scientific question. For studies that involve a methods comparison, the work should include a rigorous and thoughtful analysis of the clinical or scientific context of the technology.
- Significance: The described research or analysis should address a problem that is important to the field of Molecular Pathology.
- Focus: The scientific question(s) the investigator has addressed should be clear and the rationale for the described experimentation or analysis must be appropriately focused.
- Experimental design and control: Experiments should be well designed and controlled and data rigorously and appropriately analyzed.
- Presentation: The poster presentations must be well organized and the work and its conclusions presented in a clearly understandable and compelling manner. In addition, the trainee is expected to describe the research and its conclusions orally while the poster is attended.
Application for this award is made during the abstract submission process which begins in April.
Abstract Submission Deadline: May 31, 2021